Astaxanthin is a carotenoid, like beta-carotene from carrots and lycopene from tomatoes. The carotenoids in these fruits and vegetables are healthy antioxidants too, but astaxanthin is the strongest antioxidant of them all! Astaxanthin can neutralize oxygen free radicals 4.9 times better than beta-carotene and 1.6x better than lycopene.
Astaxanthin benefits apply wherever our bodies experience damage from free radicals. Free radicals are a natural by product of our physiology. Although our bodies have natural defenses that help clean up free radicals, these natural defenses weaken as we age and get overwhelmed by the amount of free radicals we accumulate during exercise, exposure to sunlight, stress, or in the presence of environmental pollutants. Astaxanthin is the strongest tool in the antioxidant toolkit to help restore our body's healthy antioxidant balance.
Astaxanthin as a dietary antioxidant is so important for:
- Muscle Endurance: Natural Astaxanthin helps muscle mitochondria use nutrients in a way that produces energy more efficiently. This efficiency reduces the buildup of lactic acid and results in better energy production, better endurance, and supports recovery of muscles after exercise.
- Cardiovascular Health: Astaxanthin reduces oxidative stress and inflammation, improves blood lipid profile, and promotes better blood flow. Clinical studies have shown that healthy adults supplementing with 12mg/day astaxanthin had reduced triglyceride levels and increased levels of HDL (the good cholesterol) in blood serum after 8 weeks. In another study, participants showed improved blood flow (blood transit time) after 10 days of supplementation with 6 mg/day astaxanthin.
- Skin Health: Astaxanthin provides benefits to all the layers of the skin. It improves circulation & the supply of nutrients to the deepest layer of skin, protects collagen integrity in the next layer, neutralizes UV-induced free radicals causing skin damage at the surface layer, and prevents roughness by improving moisture retention at the outermost layer.
- Eye Health: Astaxanthin promotes capillary circulation, which helps rejuvenate the eyes by bringing in nutrients and oxygen, and removing waste. Clinical studies have also shown that astaxanthin improves accommodation, which is the ability to switch from near and far focus by working the eye's ciliary muscle.
- Joint Health: Astaxanthin neutralizes free radicals, improving the overall health of joints. It can help support the muscular framework that contributes to strong and healthy joints.
- Cognitive Function: Access to the brain is restricted by a protective membrane known as the blood brain barrier. Astaxanthin can cross this barrier and reach the brain where it improves the antioxidant status of red blood cells, reduces formation of Phospholipid hydroperoxides (PLOOH), and enhances blood flow bringing oxygen and nutrients to the brain.
Healthy adults, aged 45-65, had improved information processing, spatial reasoning and short-term memory when challenged with a cognitive test (CogHealth) after supplementing with 12mg/day astaxanthin for 12 weeks.
- Fighting Fatigue: Astaxanthin improved symptoms of fatigue in healthy adults participating in a study that was designed to simulate transient fatigue experienced in daily life. Participants in this study reported improved clarity of thinking and concentration while performing cognitive tasks and made fewer calculation errors when supplementing with 12mg/day astaxanthin after 8 weeks. They also reported improved recovery, feeling less physically and mentally fatigued after completing both mental and physical challenges.
Astaxanthin is the strongest tool in the antioxidant toolkit to help restore our body's healthy antioxidant balance.
DIRECTIONS: Take 1 softgel daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Other Ingredients: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Softgel Capsule (bovine Gelatin, glycerin, water, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Sunflower Oil, Natural mixed tocopherols (from non-GMO soy and sunflower)
Wheat Free,Dairy/ Milk Free,Gluten Free
Egg Free,Shellfish Free
Please see our full line of doctor selected Alternative Health Products
Further information is available in Dr Priscilla Slagle's medical issue Newsletters
For more guidance on how to use nutritional supplementation, go to Dr Slagle's individual website.
Click on Library of Symptoms & Health Conditions
* These statements have not been evaluated by the U.S.Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease